Between all the official and unofficial dog breeds in the world, it would be impossible to name each and every kind that exists! But every pooch is special and has its own individuality. This list of dog facts will make it clear that dogs are amazing animals and have some cool traits.
Read our list of fun facts about man’s best friend!
1. Fur or fowl? The dog breed known as the Newfoundland has webbing between its toes – like a duck! – and a fur coat that resists water. Their original purpose was to help pull up fishing nets and to save people from drowning.
2. To chomp or not to chomp? Most puppies have 28 teeth and as they grow into adults they get a total of 42 teeth.
3. Ever wondered why your dog chases its tail? It could be for any number of reasons including exercise, nervousness, or just for fun! If you start to notice an abnormal amount of tail chasing check with your vet.
4. White with black stripes or black with white stripes? These puppies don’t have stripes, but Dalmations do start as pure white when they’re born, and they grow into their spots as they mature.
5. Super powers? It’s not magic! Dogs can see in the dark because of a membrane in their eyes called tapetum lucidum.
6. Hot to trot! The normal body temperature for a dog is 101 to 102.5 degrees Fahrenheit.
7. Ew…sweaty feet! People can sweat all over their bodies but dogs can only sweat through their foot pads.
8. Seeing is believing!. Dogs don’t see life like a black-and-white film. They actually see mostly in blues, greenish-yellow, yellow and different shades of gray.
9. Ever feel like your dog is talking with its ears? Their ears move so uniquely because there are over 12 different muscles they can use to move!
10. It’s not just to ruin your yard: in order to mark their territory using scent glands in their feet, dogs kick up grass and dirt after doing their business.
How many of these dog facts did you know? Share this list with a fellow dog lover!